Friday, June 02, 2006

On asSIGNment in Nigeria


I was never one to sleep in the car -- I was always afraid I'd miss something. We don't have the time to stop very often for pictures. The schedule is tight and it's never wise to drive at night.

So, as they say here in Nigeria, I "snap" as the images race past my window.

If these signs make you laugh, keep in mind that it's our own view of things that make them funny. When you think about it, which is more silly: A trunk or a boot? A hood or a bonnet? A tush or a bum?

"How am I driving?" What's wrong with "Pleased with my driving"? It's certainly more polite -- just like the people here.




































The sign to the right is at the entrance to an Internet cafe in Ibadan. Indeed, there have been arrests there.



















I like the one below because of the little characters in the center. If you're old enough to remember the Anacin commercials from the 1950s and '60, it might make you want to frown and say, "Tension, Pressure, Pain."



No comments: