Friday, June 02, 2006

A mystery photo from Ibadan

On Monday, we flew from the Abuja, Nigeria's capital, to the coastal city of Lagos. On Tuesday, we met with journalists for a day-long seminar on reporting on policital financing for next year's presidential election.

That afternoon, we drove north to Ibadan, the largest city in all of West Africa -- maybe 10 million people. I'll have more pictures from there a little later.

On Wednesday, we put repeated the seminar for journalists from all of the states in the Southwest of Nigeria. On Thursday, my colleage hosted a gathering of educators. It took place on the campus of the University of Ibadan. It was the first university in Nigeria and it has always been recognized as one of the leading schools in Africa.

I was able to slip away for a while during that gathering and see some of the sights of the massive city. This photograph was a wonderful surprise. It's remarkable how one can just look up and see an interesting shot.

I thought this would make for a good mystery for the readers of this blog. If you have a minute, look at it and take a stab at describing the scene. I'll provide the details after I've received a few guesses.

I have a lot of work to do in preparation for our next journey -- we go east this time. It's unlikely I'll have access to a high-speed port in which to plug in my laptop, so I'll try my best to use part of my day off tomorrow to send you some long-overdue observations and adventures. Posted by Picasa

No comments: