Monday, August 05, 2019

I understand the mindset of the El Paso shooter because I once wore his shoes


As with every other Baby Boomer in the United States, I grew up in fear of the savage invaders that were intent upon raping my mother and sister.

They drilled us in school – “DROP!”

We learned to hit the floor under our desks – instantly --because we believed that the "enemy," those communist killers, wanted us dead.

Our president, our parents and other officials demanded that we comply – for the sake of our own safety and the safety of our communities.

When I turned 18, as did hundreds of thousands of my peers, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on my own assault rifle and kill those invaders before they could get to my mother and sister.



Yes, I believed what they were telling me – from the president on down – and I stepped up to do my duty.

I went proudly to Vietnam and used my assault weapon on “the enemy” – and I was eager to do it for my country, my people and my family.

There were other voices out there, but I chose to believe what my government leaders said.

“They’re out to get us – we must get them first!"

My own sister – the one I was trying to protect from those killers and rapists – tried valiantly to convince me I was wrong.

What did she know about the "enemy" anyway?

Over the five decades since, I’ve slowly come to understand that my patriotic pals and I were merely pawns who were sent to kill on behalf of older, more wealthy Americans who were really interested in preserving and increasing their wealth.

So, I can understand how a young man can be brainwashed by the lies of a president and others.

When our leaders identify the “enemies” and then make it so easy to arm ourselves with assault weapons, I can understand the El Paso shooter’s mindset.

He believed that he would die for his country when he assaulted the “enemy.”

And do did I!

The problem today is the same as it was in 1967 when I enlisted – young men are eager to engage in battle against the “enemy.”

Simply convince the young men that the “enemy” is coming, give them an arrow, a spear, a slingshot or a sword – or even an assault weapon – and point them in the right direction.

Just as with the “Onward Christian Soldiers” we sang about in church, we are eager to fight onward.

When we’re older – and able to think more clearly, without so much testosterone flowing – we can begin to realize that corrupt and greedy leaders are the real enemies.

And without the easy access to weapons of war, their pawns are useless.

The real "enemies" are the people we elect and the powerful wealthy people they serve.

They are working for different constituents -- not for you and me.

And by the way, students today are again being drilled, but now to protect them from brainwashed young men who believe they're doing the right thing -- with a wink and a nod from their president.



No comments: